Recently one of our teachers, Sue, was invited to teach a small group of teenagers in St Petersburg, Russia, on a trip organised by Perspective Language School. Here is Sue’s account of her trip, with some great photos.
Hi everyone, my name’s Sue and I am one of the teachers at Hilderstone College. I have been working here for nearly five years and I love it!
Recently I had the wonderful opportunity to go to St Petersburg in Russia for the college to teach English to a group of teenage students from the Orenburg area in the South of Russia. It was a special project arranged by their school for them to combine learning English with a winter holiday including the period from New Year to the Russian Orthodox religious celebration of Christmas Day on the 7 January. Due to that I had a second Christmas with the students and we enjoyed all the lit up Christmas trees and beautiful sparkling lights in the city and after lessons on Christmas Day, exchanged Christmas presents, played games and compared Christmas traditions in our different countries.
A part of my role as Head of Marketing is to attend workshops and exhibitions designed to meet new educational tour operators. These events are a wonderful opportunity to meet new partners from around the world – all in one room!
I pre-make appointments and at the event, each educational tour operator comes to my table for a 20 – 30 minute meeting. In that time, I need to make Hilderstone stand out as being a language school they would like to send students to. Of course, there is a lot of follow-up afterwards and getting to know each other on a professional basis.
Our partner educational tour operators are paramount to our student recruitment activity and have a very important role in helping students to enrol in the best possible school to meet their personal needs and goals.
We are pleased to announce that the FREE ARRIVAL TRANSFER offer will be extended for courses starting before 31 January 2019.
This may be by shuttle bus or by taxi, depending on flight time and which London airport.
The promotion will be available for all new individual enrolments on courses starting before 31 January 2019.
Bookings must be of a minimum of 2 weeks on the following courses:
• Bookings shorter than 2 weeks
• Bookings received before 1 November 2018
• Bookings from UK-based sponsors
• Closed groups
Conditions apply. Please see our website: http://www.hilderstone.ac.uk/
Can you put the correct verbs in the gaps in these sentences?
1) Can you buy some more kitchen paper? I’ve ______ it all up.
2) This question is just too difficult – I ______ up!
3) Please can you ______ up your room? It’s a mess!
4) Sam was very late arriving at the party. He didn’t ______ up until 11 pm!
5) That restaurant is doing very good business. In fact, they’ve just ________ up a second restaurant in Canterbury.
6) Don’t leave your clothes on the floor! ______ them up in the wardrobe!
7) If you want to go on the school trip, please _____ up on the list on the noticeboard.
8) If you _____ up all your vegetables, you can have a pudding!
Check your answers below.
Some grammar for you this week!
Can you add the MISSING word in each sentence?
1) When I walking down the street, I saw my sister.
2) I lived here since I was 10 years old.
3) We were chatting to Peter, and he told he was a
4) If he doesn’t arrive soon, we go without him.
5) I have a friend lives in Rome.
Now can you remove the EXTRA word in numbers 6 – 10?
6) My brother he is a taxi driver.
7) Can you to help me?
8) I don’t know who does lives there.
9) I don’t like the spiders!
10) Do you have a time for a drink?
Summer is officially over – but the good news is that there are lots of sales in the shops!
You can buy almost anything in a supermarket these days, but do you know the name of the specialist shops for these items or services?
Example: fish and seafood – A FISHMONGER’S
1) fruit and vegetables
4) bread and cakes
5) aspirin, cough medicine, soap
6) a diamond ring or a necklace
7) a new pair of glasses or an eye test
8) a new hairstyle or hair cut
9) a massage or spray tan
10) envelopes, paper and pens
Check the answers below.
This week it’s another of our occasional quizzes on Britain.
Do you know the answer to these questions?
1) What is Ben Nevis?
2) What kind of books did Agatha Christie write?
3) What happened in 1066?
4) How many wives did Henry VIII have?
5) What is the largest city in Scotland?
6) What is the capital city of Wales?
7) Which famous female writer is on the back of the £10
8) What meat do British people traditionally eat on
These words are notoriously problematic for even native speakers! Can you correct them?
Something is on the tip of my tongue
I can’t remember the name of something/someone but I think I will remember it soon
the crack of dawn
Very early in the morning